Saturday, June 13, 2009

Vegan Mac & Cheeze

6.12.09 Vegan Mac & Cheese

This is the first time I've made vegan mac & cheeze although it's been on my list for a while. I will definitely give this the thumbs up. Lucas, my beloved omnivore, also gave it the thumbs up. ;)

Next time, I am going to try Fat Free Vegan's recipe though (as that one is a little less fattening).

I went with Vegan Dad's recipe.
Click here for original recipe on Vegan Dad's food blog:
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06/creamy-mac-and-cheeze.html

INGREDIENTS
Makes a lot - enough for 4 or 5 people.

- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cups firm tofu (does not have to be silken) NOTE: I used 12oz firm silken tofu.
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp miso (something mellow)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni

METHOD

1. Cook macaroni, as per directions, until al dente.

2. While macaroni is cooking, place all other ingredients in a blender and blend for 5 minutes, until very smooth. Make sure all nuts and seeds have been blended.
NOTE: I blended the nuts on their own first in my food processor with a bit of the soymilk and then added the rest of the ingredients and blended until very smooth. I feel like that blends the nuts better that way.

3. Drain macaroni and return to pot over medium heat. Add sauce and bring to bubbling. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and reduces a bit (about 5 mins)

I served it up with veggie burgers and a salad. Yum!

2 comments:

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

I love Vegan Dad's recipes! This one sounds quite luxurious.

sundaegirl108 said...

I'm going to have to try more of his recipes! This was so yummy! :)