Thursday, May 1, 2008

Baigan Bharta

HAPPY MAY! Now if only the 40°F weather would go away. ;)
Tonight I'm making Baigan Bharta (an Indian roasted eggplant dish) with a spiced beet salad or chana chaat (cold spiced chickpea salad).

I haven't cooked much since my move because the majority of my spices and whatnot were still at my old place. The move is finally done. Damn, I hate moving. =( Once Lucas and I get our own place, I am staying put for a long time.

Baigan Bharta
Baigan Bharta
image source = http://ruchii-madhu.blogspot.com/

Ingredients for Baigan Bharta:
2 large Baigan (eggplant)
1 large onion, cut into slices
1 can of diced tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 inch peeled ginger, chopped fine
Olive Oil
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Amchur (mango powder) - 1/2 teaspoon (can be found in Indian grocers)

Method for Baigan Bharta:
♥Wash Baigan (eggplant), brush the skin with olive oil, prick skin with knife, and roast at 400°F until collapsed
♥Remove the skin of the eggplant
♥Mash the insides of the Baigan (eggplant) with a fork and juices into a pulp.
♥Heat the oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, let them splutter.
♥Add onions and salt fry till onions are clear.
♥Add chopped garlic and the chopped tomatoes.
♥Fry together for a minute
♥Add coriander powder, red chilli amchur and Turmeric powder. Stir and fry for 2-3 minutes.
♥Add mashed Baigan (eggplant). Stir and sauté on medium heat until flavors are combined.
♥Enjoy Baigan Bharta with basmati rice and/or naan. Mmm.

**recipe from http://www.indian-food-recipe.com/content/view/163/74/

Update 5/2/08:This was delicious! I made some cucumber raita and a spiced chickpea salad to go with it. Mmm

No comments: