Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tempeh Piccata

I finally treated myself to a subscription of Vegetarian Times magazine and I got a nifty cookbook with my subscription! I'd never cooked tempeh before, but I used to love chicken piccata when I wasn't veggie, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Lucas was not so in love with tempeh, but he said that the flavor was delicious. I would agree. :)

Tempeh Piccata 2.7.09

TEMPEH PICCATA (vegan)

Piccata Sauce
2 tsps minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups dry white wine
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water

Tempeh Triangles
1/2 cup soymilk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 8oz. packages of tempeh
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon slices for garnish

1. To make piccata sauce: roast garlic in skillet with some olive oil over medium heat for about 20 seconds. Add lemon juice, capers, wine, salt, and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in cornstarch; cook another 3 to 5 mins. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. To make Tempeh Triangles: Whisk together soymilk and mustard in a bowl. Combine cornmeal, flour, sage, salt, and pepper in another bowl.

3. Cut tempeh into 3 squares and cut each square into 2 triangles. Dip triangles in soymilk mixture and then dredge in cornmeal mixture and set aside.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook half tempeh triangles about 3 minutes per side. Add some more oil and repeat.

5. Arrange tempeh triangles on serving plates and top with Piccata sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges.

I served these with some mashed new potatoes and grilled asparagus. Mmmm.

Source: Vegetarian Times Magazine (free cookbook with subscription!)

No comments: